Dressing up in layers during winter is not only good for your physical health, but for your teeth too! You may not know it but having healthy teeth in Kansas City can be challenging during the winter months.
This challenge is felt more acutely by those who have sensitive teeth. The cold air puts them at risk of experiencing pain in their mouths more often, as the very air around them is cold. When faced with inclement weather, people tend to breathe through their mouths. However, this is a no-no considering as all this does is to directly expose their sensitive air to the cold air. As a result, the sudden change in the temperature may trigger even more bouts of tooth pain.
Here’s how you can have healthy teeth in Kansas City despite the cold:
- As much as you can, breathe in and out through your nose. This reduces your exposure through the cold air.
- Wear layers so you are not as exposed to the cold, and so you won’t be as tempted to open your mouth to inhale or exhale.
- Warm your cold teeth with a warm drink – even just hot water! Doing so would significantly improve the cold temperature in your mouth which can reduce your pain. You should also make it a habit to always have a warm beverage on hand whenever you leave the house.
- Ask your dentist about a desensitizing toothpaste. You’ll need to add extra protection against the cold, so using toothpaste that blocks the sensations can reduce your risk of feeling pain.
- Use lip balm as much as you can to reduce the risk of chapped lips, which can make your mouth feel even more uncomfortable.
Having healthy teeth in Kansas City during winter need not be difficult through the help of professionals such as Dr. John Gordon. Dr. Gordon is highly experienced in treating patients with sensitive teeth so you will have fewer things to worry about the cold. Now you can go out and enjoy the snow without worrying about the cold triggering your achy teeth!