You’ve no doubt experienced a bad dentist at some point in your life, but what makes a good dentist, exactly? It’s not about location, hours or a pretty office … it’s not even about the cost of procedures. If you want to find a truly great Kansas City dentist, what do you look for?
Here are 8 things that make a dentist great:
- They put your comfort first: A great dentist cares about you and your physical and emotional comfort from the time you step in the door until the time you leave. The procedures should be as painless as possible, and you should always be informed about a procedure before it happens.
- They listen to you. Dental visits can be stressful. A great dentist will put you at ease by listening to your concerns and answering all your questions. A good dentist will spend extensive time studying your mouth, taking all the necessary x-rays and asking questions for his/her records. These details are essential for a good dentist to give you the best, most personalised care and comprehensive treatment plan based on your unique situation.
- They respect your resources. When you ask for treatment options and how much they cost, a great dentist will be truthful and not try to upsell procedures that you don’t need. You should always have time to think about a procedure and its cost before giving the dentist a green light.
- They follow up. After a difficult procedure, your dentist should call and check on you. He/she may ask about whether you’re suffering any complications that may affect your recovery.
- Staff members are happy. A great dentist is respectful and kind to his/her coworkers and staff. If the staff is happy and positive, then you know the dentist is respected and liked.
- They’re constantly learning new techniques and technology. The field of dentistry is always changing. Great dentists will stay up on new technology and procedures in order to improve their skills and best serve their patients. If a dentist constantly updates his or her technology, it’s a sign that he or she is passionate about dentistry and is actively monitoring new dentistry trends in order to give patients the best, most innovative treatment.
- They Educate You. Twice-a-year cleanings and checkups are great, but a good dentist knows that the most important dental care happens at home. He or she will tell you what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong. They’ll tell you about potential problem areas and how you can prevent them from getting worse.
- They provide an amazing patient experience and treat patients like family. A great dentist puts a lot of emphasis on providing a wonderful patient experience and awesome customer service. From the initial contact all the way to the post treatment follow-up care, great dentists and their staff make sure every detail is focused on the patient. Your patient journey actually begins before you even step foot into the dental office. During the initial phone enquiry, you should get a good feeling about what the dental practice is like and the level of customer service you can expect. When you arrive, the staff should be friendly and helpful and make you feel welcome. A good dentist will make you feel like more than a patient, he or she will make you feel like family. The receptionist and dental assistants will be kind and caring. You’ll be greeted by name and made to feel at home – and you won’t want to go anywhere else!
If you’re looking for an exceptional Kansas City dentist, look no further than Gordon Dental and Dr. John Gordon. Dr. John has specialized in cosmetic dentistry, as well as implant and restorative dentistry, for more than 30 ye
ars. He is passionate about his patients and dedicated to customer service, spending hours listening to patients and working hard to give them the smile they’ve always dreamed about. His generous, caring spirit allows him to go beyond the “standard procedures” of the typical Kansas City dentist. He and his staff handle every smile design case with care, precision and rigorous attention to detail. Come find out why we have fourth-generation patients returning for care! New patients are always welcome. Call us today at 816.505.2222 or visit www.kcgordondental.com to schedule a free consultation. We’ll see you soon!